Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Back in Wadi and face to face with a Telugu Proverb

This was narrated to me by my friend Nissankara Bhargava, presently Exhibition Officer at Visvesvaraya Industrial and technological Museum, Bengaluru. There appears to be a folk festival in some village in Andhra called Kanchukotsavam, the festival of blouses. On a particular day of the year, womenfolk of the village go to the river bank, take of their blouses and throw them into the river in spate. The menfolk, who used to wait downstream jumped into the river the moment they saw the blouses floating downstream and grabbed what came into their hands. One for each. They then went back to the women. The man with a blouse belonging to a particular woman got to spend the day (night rather) with her. Good fun and change of bed for all.

One such kanchukotsavam day, as the womenfolk were waiting with bated breaths and bared breasts, all women got their share of goodies while one particularly dumb husband – one like me- seemed to have grabbed his own spouse’s blouse. As she saw him coming towards her she gave vent to her frustration with a phrase which has since become a proverb in Telugu, meaning “Gosh! The same husband even on the festival day!” meaning nothing worth talking about even on a special occasion. “Panduga rojulo kooda paata magudena” May it be said that my homecoming to Wadi evoked similar frustration in the absence of familiar faces and circumstances. Everything had changed. Srinath now was the centre of attraction of the Family. I was a new entrant in the household I possessed and held on my palms. No old friends. Nothing. It was the first time that the truth of passing time changing the space time coordinates of a place was brought home to me so forcefully. I was a new man in Wadi. I had left a favourite child and had returned a new man. I was as much a stranger in Wadi as I was at Moovattupuzha. Happy homecoming, but same old circumstances.

And finally like the singer in TV programmes, I shout, to all of you who are reading this "come on come on comment, lets all comment together" Else gentle readers, I stop writing altogether. Or is that what you want?

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger JC said...

Cant Make out when u r in and when u r out.

Most of the story has similarity to that of mine when u shift places, but for sure Kerala became a real GOD's OWN Country for me. i started liking the poems of Dr. Ayyappa Panicker Kadambanitta the likes of MT, M.mukundan, etc etc...

JC
Ram keep going


i am there to read and enjoy the song yeh dosti hum nahi chodenge

8:52 PM  
Blogger Ramdas Iyer said...

Thanx JC, Ultimately only you and me will read my blog. Thats why I stopped writing. People are busy organising their own events and many don't even take my calls. So i sometimes feel what is the bloody use in writing a blog.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Venky said...

You should not stop writing Ramdas... I read a fair bit the very first day. Many things that I can relate to... Guessed that your father must have worked for ACC. ...Venkatesh Puthucode Ananthanarayanan ... Facebook :)

8:04 PM  
Blogger Ramdas Iyer said...

Thanx Venky for the kind comments

9:13 PM  
Blogger Ramdas Iyer said...

Thanx Venky for the kind comments

9:13 PM  
Blogger Sougandhi said...

Interesting!! A nice mix of cynicism, wit and awe! Stories of the yore! Do continue to blog

9:23 PM  
Blogger Sougandhi said...

Interesting!! A nice mix of cynicism, wit and awe! Stories of the yore! Do continue to blog

9:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

https://decor-ksa.com
http://mchaabaty.com/luxurious/
http://mchaabaty.com/red-bricks/
http://mchaabaty.com/factory/

10:54 PM  
Blogger Nina VijayKumar said...

Thoroughly enjoyed reading

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home