Monday, September 25, 2006

Two significant events on 24th September 2006

 
 
 
It was the Punyahavachanam and Naaamakaranam ceremony of my daughter on Sunday the 24th of September 2006. I hope those of us who have learnt Sanskrit under Mrs.Balakrishnan will not find it difficult to understand the meaning of these terms. In Hindu religion, the birth of a child is considered an event which requires quarantining for a few days. In the earlier days, the birth of a child was a hazardous affair. It introduced the possibilities of infection for all concerned. So on the eleventh day after birth, the mother and child were bathed in the waters of the Ganga and were thus sanctified. As the Vishnu Sahasranama says “Shareere Jarjaree Bhoote, Vyadhigraste Kalebare – Aushadham Jahnavee thoyam, Vaidyo Narayano Harih”. Meaning the ultimate physician is Lord Vishnu and the ultimate medicine is the water of the Ganga. Also, the child and mother, as also the close family members of the family were considered impure, and not fit to perform their religious functions as specified in the scriptures till they were purified. Child mortality rates being what they were in those days, a child wasn’t even considered viable till eleven days had passed. Those crucial eleven days passed uneventfully yesterday and certain ceremonies were performed. The Naamakaranam, where the child is given her name. My girl was given four names – Radha (my mother’s name), Gayathri (my choice), Shweta (my brother’s choice) and Ananya (my son’s choice). The child is also put on the cradle on this day, and is adorned with protection devices called Kaappu. All the ceremonies went on well and I seek all your blessings for Gayathri and Aditya.

Another significant thing that happened yesterday was that I met Arvind Agarwal. Now Arvind was a very good friend of mine from my days in Gulbarga. We were roommates in Jain Hostel in Gulbarga during 1982-87. He was a smart guy. They were four brothers. Pankaj, Neeraj, Rajeev and Arvind. All named after the lotus. And they were all lotuses no doubt. All four sons of the Agarwal family were excellent academically. The first three were sober while Arvind was a fun loving guy. As long as we were in school I did know him but we weren’t close. When he came to Jain Hostel, we became roommates and we became good friends. I have a little interest in astrology and palmistry, but I am really a Ponga Pandit. I made some predictions about Arvind’s academic career which turned out to be true. He seemed impressed with that. Anyway we had a cup of coffee over candle light at the Taj Mansingh. It was too strong, and so were our memories. We spoke for several hours in the lobby of Taj Mansingh and he dropped me back home. He is doing well in his career and I wish him more and more happiness in his life. When I get to our life in the Jain hostel, I will talk more about him. Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the past 2 weeks i was at chennai .Myself , Mom, and Gomathi ( my aunt) couldnt stop ourselves from going .."yakitty yakitty yak yak" about wadi and poor thing
..My brohter &
sisters (--> gomathi's daughters)
were beggining to feel kind of left out from the conversation.
I also met Menon-Aunty and uncle and Geetha's family.
Its inddeed this blog that brought us all togather as though tugging on to some invisible thread (..thread-->litrally and figuratively)

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home