Sunday, July 09, 2006

What exactly is this Wadi?

Now some people have asked me where this Wadi is, about which I have written and about which I will be writing a lot. Wadi, like Malgudi will be defined as I go on, but for those who would like to know in brief, in advance, Wadi is a railway junction in the main Bombay Madras line from where a line diverts off to Hyderabad. It is in the midst of the Deccan Plateau, where the black cotton soil heats up (or atleast used to heat up) to a terrifying 52 degrees Celsius during summer. It is in the Northern part of the southern Indian state of Karanataka, in the Gulbarga district. It abounds in castes like the Lingayats, the followers of the Saint Sharanabasaweshwara and Banjaras, who are also called Lambadas, a gypsy like tribe. I have not visited the place for 20 years now, so I do not know what it is like these days, but I sincerely hope it is as it was when I was growing up there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home